Where no one has gone before

During our trip to Antarctica, the ship docked to an ice floe in Antarctic Sound. The expedition leader investigated the ice floe, whether it’s safe to disembark passengers…and yes, it was!
So later we all had the opportunity to walk on this ice floe, although it was not as virgin as it was before, and the footsteps evolved to a path… This trip is a very special memory to me. I did not think about anything when I took the picture, I was just attracted by the lonely footsteps of a man in an incredible setting.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Katharina, the “trail” stands out very well here. I like how long it is and then there’s the fascinating scene at the top of the view. The weekly challenge works as a time limited event that runs from Sunday at midnight to Saturday 11:59 pm (USA Eastern Time). Since you’re new, I’ll accept this post even though it was not in the correct time period.

Hi @Mark_Seaver,
Thanks and noted. I waited past midnight local time, but did not know I had to obey Eastern Time…
Katharina

Cool scene Katharina! The little diversionary loop of the footsteps made me chuckle. Something must have interested the hiker to make them divert like that. I’ve always wanted to see Antarctica. This is a perfect scene to show the scale and massiveness. Thanks for posting!

Katharina, I understand the time zone problem and wondered about your location, but since the NPN calendar runs on USA Eastern time, it’s easiest to use that as the standard.

This looks great. Love the little loop the hiker took and what a great leading line. Great mood and inviting feel into a forlorn landscape.

Very pleasing contemplative scene. Sometimes one has to avoid the straight line in going from A to B on a trail of discovery…

I too love the little break in the pattern. This idea is oft times just what is needed to break up the frame. Pattern is great, but the break actually enhances it! Well done!

I agree with many of the others about the diversion in the trail. It’s what makes the image great instead of good. It makes me wonder what he was seeing. I sure wouldn’t get any closer to that edge though. This just looks like a once in a lifetime thing. So glad it was a great memory for you.
No nits at all with this. Love it as is.

A nice path scene that looks a lot like Alaska, Katharina! The vertical format puts the accent on the path and the little side trip (probably for a photograph) adds to the interest. Excellent job with the exposure also!

@Gary_Minish, @David_Haynes, @John_Barclay, @David_Schoen, @Harley_Goldman, @Mark_Seaver, @Mark_Muller
Thank you all so much for your kind words! It’s interesting that you emphasize the sideloop so much! I did not notice it when taking the picture, only afterwards, and I do not remember what he was doing there. But anyway, sometimes you just need some luck.