White Fronted Bee Eaters

Here’s a photo of a WF Bee Eater in full wing spread as it approached its perch.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

Any pertinent technical details: Nikon D 500 and 80-400 at 1/2500, f/7.1 and ISO 560. Cropped from 3x2 to 4x5.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

You nailed the sharpness and nice poses for both. BG is interesting, nice that you got the flight pose in the area you did.

Great interaction, and I like the environmental background, considering that is where they live. It might be an illusion, but the perched bird looks a little sharper than the flying bird. Even so, the flying bird looks sharp enough. I’d run some NR on the BG, which I think would help separate it from the bee eaters. Also, there appears to be a cloning artifact running vertically from the flying bird’s head.

Outstanding interaction and a real plus to get both birds in focus. Good environmental perspective.

Excellent job getting both in crisp focus, Richard, and I like their relative positions in the frame. Did they have their nesting cavities in the bank behind them?

This looks to me like you could get away with an even tighter crop from the top and right, eliminating the greenery at the top.

Dennis: yes they build nesting cavities high in the bank. It’s interesting watch them as they use their beaks to dig and their feet to remove the debris.