White Out on the Gulf

White pelican in the fog in the Gulf of Mexico. I took this image on the last morning of a 23 day paddling trip across Florida

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I want to make thus a very simple image to show solitude to the end of my trip

Technical Details

2 Likes

This is great Nelson, I think that it perfectly achieves what you set out to show. For me the small amount of reflection compliments the wonderfully understated feel of the image, and the framing and angle of the bird are just right.
Happy paddling

1 Like

Thank you and I belive the small reflection is wat really made the image stand out

Beautifully minimalist (the wake is good, too). Cool ambiguous title. Who needs a horizon? Well done!

1 Like

Thank you for your inputs

Hi Nelson,

Wow, that’s a long adventure and it sounds exciting!

I really like the high key look and the slightly darker horizontal line in the center does a good job of separating the fog from the water.

Wonderful image showing solitude. :slight_smile:

Silly maybe but when I expanded this image to it’s maximum scale, I clicked on the scroll wheel on my mouse to scroll right to left, when I did that it made the pelican appear to be swimming across my screen. :slight_smile:

Wow, sounds like a great trip Nelson. I paddle in the Fort Myers area whenever I can get down there. I like the high key effect of this image, very monochrome, and the little reflection from the pelican. I do wonder what a B&W conversion would look like, and I would prefer to have the bird somewhat larger in the image, but still retain the foggy feeling.