Widow Skimmers mating

I’ve been enjoying trying for dragonflies with the IQ and reach of the Canon R5 and 100-500 + 2X. I got lucky yesterday.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X at 1000mm, f/14 (wide open), ISO 1600, 1/800 sec. I was on a tripod with only a little tension on the Wimberley II gimbal head, for easy composition adjustments. The BG is water. I had a narrow window to shoot through in a thicket of tule.

Lightening of shadows in LR, denoise in PS but hardly noticeable at this size. Very minor cleanup of the perch. Cropped to 42% of the full frame.

1 Like

They are certainly preoccupied. Nice and sharp and clean image. I like the exposure on the whites and light blue. Looks great but overall image seems a bit dark. BG does provide a nice contrast for the whites tho.

Very nice capture of these two. Looks like the f/14 got everything sharp, top to bottom. I don’t think it looks too dark on my screen. The skimmers wouldn’t suffer from a bit of brightening, but I think they are acceptable as presented, and the bg is great.

Wow, Diane, what a find and capture. Exposure looks good on my screen. The water makes a nice background that lets the stem and the DF’s stand out nicely.

Hi Diane, really nice behavioral catch. The shadows are an interesting touch. Good view of the male here.

Diane, a fine catch of this mating pair. I also like both their shadows and the stem shadow below. Cropping to move them off center, could be interesting, but not necessarily an improvement.

Thanks everyone! @Mark_Seaver, I don’t care for centered subjects but when there is nothing to provide some visual weight to offset it, I usually feel centering is the best option. I’ll have to look back, but I think there was an OOF reed on the left that I l cropped out. I could possibly move it closer and use it for a balancing element, or remove it and allow more canvas on the left.