Wild Azalea

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While walking through a local park, I found one wild azalea blooming. While there were some blooms fully open, I was attracted to this branch where the blooms were about to open alongside fresh new leaves. I did have to wait for the breeze to die down and shadows from a nearby tree to move.

Technical Details

R5, 180 mm macro, 1/400 s, f/9 iso 800, tripod. A 24 shot stack.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:
1 Like

Beautiful job on the stack, Mark. The lighting is very nice and you had a very smooth background for this. I like the counterbalancing leaves, though I see another leaf clump behind the blooms and I wonder if it was possible to arrange it with leaves on both sides of a central bloom-though that is rather conventional.

Excellent image.

This one made me laugh, Mark. I’m imagining a can-can dancer that has fallen down and can’t get up. Or maybe the dancer is going “Ta Da!” :rofl: It’s the way the green shoots are pointing out at such an energetic angle.

Beautiful, Mark. Although I must admit, my first thought was of a hand with the fingers curled up, almost in a fist. But the beauty of the details then took over and brought me back to my senses. Your 24 shot stack is enviable.

Mark: I’m especially drawn to the light in this one. We have a garden full of azaleas but I rarely shoot them due to busy backgrounds and/or dead blooms nearby. This isolated view is nice. Good find, better capture.>=))>

Bonnie, What caught my eyes were the contrast between bright green (fresh branch growth) angled out from the lovely pink of the vertical buds. That felt like “joy of spring” to me. I must say that I really like your interpretation and yes, now I do see that “Ta Da” look. :laughing:

1 Like

Mark,
The details and crispness of this azalea bloom are stunning and you handled the OOF BG beautifully. I also think the color of the BG and azalea compliment each other beautifully. The stack looks great and your patience paid off with this lovely intimate scene.