Wild Turkey 2

Here is another shot of a wild turkey from the Smoky Mountains last week. These are the first shots I’ve captured of one displaying like this.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C, monopod
ISO 800, f6.3, 1/50s

@allensparks.wildlife
3 Likes

Here are a couple of shots of one in the sun. The sun really brings out the colors.

Note the spur in the image below. I made sure I kept my distance.

An awesome display it’s putting on, Allen. Very well photographed with excellent detail and a tantalizing angle. It shows everything, but some of the display elements are just hinted at which makes me want more-amd that’s a good thing.

Hi Allen
You did a great job in showing how a Wild Turkey turns into Benn Franklin nominee for America National Bird. Nice looking turkeys.
Peter

PS I just looked at this again, Allen and noticed your shutter speed. Superb job holding that camera steady even on a monopod, especially since you must have been a fair distance away to frame such a large bird.

Very nice Turkey images. I especially like the first one with the display and the surrounding meadow.

Impressive color and lighting. I think I like the second image the best because it is different. Detail is really well done.

1 Like

@Allen_Brooks @Dennis_Plank @David_Schoen @peter
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Dennis, I actually shot this at 205mm. At Cades Cove in the Smokies, the wildlife gets acclimated to cars and people on the road. These birds were so hyped up for breeding season, one approached me in full display on the road and tried to push me around it seemed. I managed to escape without incident though. I was surprised and pleased this image turned out at that shutter speed.

What a gorgeous capture! And excellent that you survived – I’ve heard they can attack. We have some passing through our property sometimes and I haven’t had time to try to shoot them except for one that wandered by me in my blind at the bird feeders a few days ago.