Wild Turkey

I was sitting in my blind at our feeders enjoying morning coffee when something caught my eye. I carefully peered out to find several Turkeys picking at the seed dropped below the feeders, 15 ft away. I often see them in the area but they are always very wild. I managed to rotate the lens in the collar and aim it down awkwardly and catch several shots before they decided something just wasn’t right and bugged out. (And I now have a bag of chicken feed…)

I think it’s trying to look like a Cobra here.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X at 856 mm, f/14, 1/500 sec at ISO 1250. Almost nothing done in LR, into PS for Topaz DeNoise but hardly noticeable at this size. Cloned one tiny bit of seed below its mouth.

2 Likes

They are wary, aren’t they? I like the turn and the eye here…almost looks cute. I suppose she does to a tom. :laughing:

Hi Diane
Your photograph, shoes this Wild Turkey in a degree of dignity. Head razed, stiff upper leg and all that. Nice work
Peter

Beautiful portrait of this turkey! The background really makes her stand out. I’m sure she’d be proud to show all her friends! They might want to hire you for family portraits! :slight_smile:

Very good, Diane. A lovely portrait with superb detail and I love the raised head.

Good head pose she gave you. Wild turkeys are so difficult to photograph, but you handled this opportunity beautifully.

The head turn and spiral neck make this work for me, Good background.