Wildflower

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was wandering around in a ponderosa pine forest and saw this. The tree had been struck by lightning and appeared to be dead.

Specific Feedback

The spent bloom isn’t particularly attractive but it didn’t bother me. I wonder if it will bother others.

Technical Details

ISO 100, 27mm, f/20, .8 second.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

A very nice image! I think this is a Desert Evening Primrose, although the ones I remember are yellow. The spent bloom works as the flowers are so ephemeral – again I’m not sure but I think they only last the first night and wilt the next day.

I love the shapes and textures on the tree – a nice backdrop for such a delicate flower. Great find, well presented!

Thanks, Diane. :slight_smile:

What really stands out for me in this shot is the wonderful contrast between the delicate white flower and the rugged, textured tree bark in the background. This juxtaposition brings out the beauty and fragility of the bloom. The flower is nicely framed in the lower part of the image, drawing the viewer’s eye directly to it without distraction. The rough, aged bark in the background adds depth and character, enhancing the overall composition.

The story this image tells is one of resilience and survival, with the fresh bloom standing proudly next to the spent one, symbolizing the cycle of life. The natural wear and tear of the tree bark contribute to this narrative, suggesting a long history and a harsh environment, yet life continues to thrive. This interplay of elements evokes a sense of admiration for nature’s tenacity.

As for the spent bloom, it doesn’t detract from the scene for me either. It adds a layer of realism and depth, showing the plant in various stages of its life cycle. Cropping a bit of the tree might tighten the composition, but the current framing still works well. Don overall, it’s a striking image with a compelling story.

Thanks, Saundie. You see what I saw. which is gratifying.

A great find, Don. I did a Google lens search and it came up with Oenothera caespitosa, Tufted Evening Primrose. Very close to Diane’s ID. I don’t know if the topography allowed it, but for my taste I would have likes a slightly lower perspective to get the base of the leaves in the image. The dead pine trunk with its evidence of all the life it supports makes a great backdrop.

I didn’t know that you could do a Google lens search, Dennis. Thanks for the information. I’m fairly familiar with wildflowers in the low desert but this one was at about 7,000 feet. My knowledge of flowers at that elevation is a lot more limited.

I see your point about a lower perspective but the topography didn’t allow it.

Don, what an absolutely gorgeous flower! I love the setting, also. I think that I’d like to see less tree trunk above it since my eye takes a while to get to the flower and then gets pulled away. A couple of caveats are: 1) what is your goal for the image? Is it to show the habitat in greater detail or to show the flower? and 2) Again, as far as the dead flower, what is your goal — to show the flower or show a life cycle, before and after? I believe the use of the image impacts those decisions. Is your goal a standalone gorgeous flower to frame, or a beautiful example of before & after for an exhibit? But, what a find! Beautiful no matter the use!

Susanna, thanks very much for the feedback.

I know it’s helpful to some people to think about their goals but I don’t work that way. I look around for things that grab my attention. When something does, I make a preliminary decision about whether there might be a good photo there. If I decide that there may be, my mind shifts to the task of filling the frame in the most interesting way I can. That’s pretty much it. I seldom have a specific goal and I’m never trying to tell a story.

Don, I really like the lighting and the colors in this with the tree trunk providing a nice contrasting BG for the delicate fading flower. I’m with @Dennis, wishing for a slightly lower perspective, or at the least the base of the flowering plant. I understand that topography will dictate how we can frame the shot though.

Lovely flower and a great environment. A lower perspective might have worked too, but if you didn’t have it, you didn’t have it. Colours and techs are great here. I could see perhaps a bit off the top - but I prefer having both “peaks” of the bark as they are. I would not change a thing here. That wilted bloom adds lots of interest, IMO.

Don, I’m with you re your “goals” and “story” ! I’m always looking for a good image, even just driving down the road. When I see something that looks interesting, I evaluate the light, at the environment, the comp, the perspective, and the degree of interest.

I’m not trying to “tell a story” necessarily, and don’t like being long-winded in descriptions, describing feelings, and critiques. Things evoke feelings in me, but I leave it to the observer of my image to feel what THEY feel, and describe what THEY see. That’s what matters.
I’m a photographer, and I take photos. Hopefully, most are technically good, and some compelling. I get joy in this.

I left my teaching, nursing, creative writing, English lit , and small business careers in the past. They were a lot of work. Photography is a creative endeavor, not work

Each to their own.

1 Like

Definitely. I have no quarrel with people who approach things differently.

Don: Not much to add to all the positive comments but this was a great find and a really nice comp and capture. I could see going to 4x5 with a crop from the top but I like this a lot as is. I tend to see a lot of portrait comps when I’m shooting and I think I would have done exactly as you did. Most excellent. >=))>

Thanks, Bill. :slight_smile:

@Don_Peters, I understand. I work similarly. It’s only afterward that I may think about whether I’m going to hang an image in the gallery, use it to illustrate a program, or whatever… Just a thought!