Will Sommer never come?

Image Description

On a very cold Feb 8, I came across this Great Blue in the Black Hall Outfitters Old Lyme Marina. It was just off to the left of the boat launch, so I back up very slowly and for the next 12 minutes, I photographed the Blue from in side my car.
Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

any

Technical Details

Canon R5, Canon 100-500mm & 1.4ext, 700mm, f10, 1/1600, -.3EV, ISO 3200 and the shot is cropped by around 30%. I used a local adjusted on the head and adjusted the saturation in DXO Photo Lab 6.

1 Like

Nice atmosphere rendered, as per your title as well. Looks rather grumpy, this heron. Nice one ! Hans

Stunning portrait. I love all the feather textures, and the contrasting BG. The only thing I might try would be to dodge the shadowed head and neck just a touch. I really like the grass look too. I think it was worth the trouble getting this keeper.

Wonderful subject in wonderful light! I love the sharp detail! I could see a vertical on this to show him off even more. I think the IQ will stand up nicely to the crop.

Hi Peter,

The diagonal area of grass brings out some of the subtle blues and grays of the heron. The backlighting works well here. Try bumping up the shadows a tad to see how that works. …Jim

Hi Peter, the lighting angle lighting up the front feathers gives this a rather unique feel. I like how the grass is lit up too. Trying to lift shadows may be something to try as already mentioned.

Hi Hans, Dave, DianeJim & Allen.
Thank you for your kind works. I brought up shadows and re-croped into a 5/4.
Peter

1 Like