End of summer.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I have only see Great Blue Heron in Osprey nest at the end of summer. This shot was taken from the boat launch on The Back River. Oct. 28, at 7:30 AM.
Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

Canon R5, Canon 100-500mm &1.4ext, f10, 700mm, +.7EV, ISO 5,000, 1/1600 and cropped by 35% in DXO PhotoLab 7.

A nice image of the environment you shoot in so much, Peter. I’d be tempted to remove the extra poles, particularly the foreground one which is a bit distracting, but I really like the broad view.

1 Like

Funny, how your image title steers my thoughts when looking at the image. Looks like the heron is contemplating the summer as the sun is setting … The pole on the left side could be cloned out in my opinion, should your ethics allow that. Other than that, just fine as presented. Cheers, Hans

I like the scene with the lone heron contemplating its environment. I’d be tempted to clone out the three poles to better emphasize the nice colors in the grass, as the poles do tend to draw the eye.

Hi Peter, nice contemplative scene with soft light. I could also see removing the three poles. Nicely seen and taken.

Hi Dennis, Hans, Allen Brooks & Allen Sparks.
Thank you for your comments. I like the empty poles, In the summer you could count on see one of the nesting Osprey grading the nest from there. But as always this is a place on learning and expanding the vision of photography.
Peter

I do like the image better without the poles-something about the heron looking over the field appeals to me. Hard to say why. Guess that’s why there’s so much subjectivity to all of these images-there’s often not a right or a wrong, just personal preference.

I do prefer this version, Peter, though I can certainly see why you would include them given your experience with the area. I like this nesting platform. All those triangles and the predator guard give it a space age look that contrasts with the rest of the scene and the prehistoric look of the heron.

Hi Allen & Dennis
Thank you for the comments. This is why I post photographs here and I can always learn more, from the input from all our photographer.
Peter

Thanks for the repost, which I like better indeed. That said, keep in mind that in these kind of things there’s no objectivity (as there is in sharp vs unsharp), and that it’s mere personal preferences :wink: . Cheers,