Great Blue on the Potomac

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Late afternoon back lighting helps set the Heron apart. Photographed from low angle on a tripod. Challenge was not spooking the Heron. I had hoped it would move its position in the frame a little more to its left, but the Heron didn’t cooperate.

Specific Feedback

Composition and crop.

Technical Details

Camera: Nikon Z9
Lens: Nikkor Z400mm f/2.8 TC VRS
Focal Length: 560mm
Exposure: f/4.0 @ 1/2000
Exposure Bias: -1 EV
ISO 800

2 Likes

Hi John, I like the composition here with the bird well to the right looking over the expanse of water. The backlighting hitting the green grass adds a lot to the image. Light seems soft and subtle.

I like this version as is but I am also wondering what raising the exposure/shadows a tad would do. Wouldn’t want to kill the mood given here though.

Nice frame.

Thanks Allen, I see what you mean about the shadows. I believe I brought them down to create greater contrast between highlights. Appreciate the feedback. I’ll take a look at it. I think the rocks, in particular, where not really as dark as they appear in my edit. John

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I was testing new drop in polarizer, and I believe it for sure played a factor.

Even without the heron, this would be a pleasing scene. The position of the heron in the composition, looking over the water, works well.

Allen nailed it - a very pleasing scene. I could easily spend some time here. Clearly, so could the heron. I think lifting the overall exposure is a good idea. I wouldn’t want to wreck that subtle light, though. Herons never do what you want!

Thank you!

Thank you! I will be revisiting the exposure.

Hi John. I’m going to differ on the light. I like it slightly dark as it just creates a nice mood. The only thing I’d change is that line of light across the top of the out of focus rock behind the heron. My eye went to it and couldn’t leave.

Hi John
Photograph 201, alway be open to new ideas. Thank you.
Peter

Hi John,

I always study the image before reading the description or comments and I did notice that my attention was being summoned by the rock out in the water behind the heron, so maybe just lowering the brighter highlights of that rock would eliminate that slight attention puller?

The composition however is outstanding, the way the ground where it’s perched is tapering off into the water is very artistic to me, it’s as if an artist (you) had planned it that way! :smiley:

BTW, the lighting is perfect!

I haven’t found any wildlife that are wiling to cooperate with photographers, it’s as if they have a one track mind or something, all they want to do is find food and eat :slight_smile:
At least they tolerate us once in a while.

I noticed that rock as well. It’s clearly a distraction and needs attention. Thanks, John

Thanks Merv – agree the rock needs some attention. John