Will you be there? (1 rework)

With the worst of the gap cloned out -

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Nothing too exciting here, but I did want some more eyeballs on my stacking job before I delete the source images. There is a gap, but I wonder if it’s too egregious. I probably could clone out the offending element. These are two Indian Pipe seed pods that needed 42 shots to cover adequately and leave the bg soft. I had to bend a third out of the way since it lost the pod and was just a stem. I know two of something is usually seen as too static and that threes are preferred, but alas, that other one lost its head.

Specific Feedback

Stack look ok? Should I clone in a third seed pod? lol. I have a bit of room to change the cropping if anyone has a compelling argument.

Technical Details

Tripod & in-camera focus bracketing - two sessions of 21

Lr for initial work to improve contrast and color using mostly global edits, but a mask as well to isolate the bg. Zerene for the stack and very light retouching of the DMap image with a bit of the PMax. Lr again for repeat improvements to the resulting TIF and a crop. A very clear subject like this worked well with the Beta Lens Blur tool and I softened some of the lines back there.

1 Like

Great shot; great title. Perhaps something out of the mind of Lewis Carroll?

I don’t mind the duet, Kris. The background is gorgeous and I love the textures on the seed pods. I do see a few areas of the stack that look like they could be repaired pretty easily. I’ve attached a copy of your image with those areas circled rather than trying to describe them.

Kris: I love how you can take somewhat decrepit subjects and turn them into compelling images. I saw the areas Dennis noted but the heads are the center of attention and so well rendered. Well seen, conceived, captured and presented. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Thanks @Jim_Gavin, @Dennis_Plank & @Bill_Fach - I just love this flower so will shoot it whenever I find it pretty much. I’m not too fussed about the leaves on the bottom, but cloned the petal near the top since I think that is more noticeable. New shot in the OP.

1 Like

Nice job on the clean-up, Kris.