Wilson's Snipe

Image of another bird from Bosque I haven’t seen a lot. This Wilson’s snipe was feeding inconspicuously by the front. I wouldn’t have noticed it except it was flushed by a killdeer that was also feeding in the same area. It moved away a few feet and started feeding again. I got a few frames from my SUV and liked this one that shows the legs as well most of the beak. It was a bit overcast which helped with even lighting.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

This is a rather high-key image and I would like to know how this works.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

Any pertinent technical details:

840mm with lens resting on car window. 1/400s@F10 (+1 1/3Ev), ISO500. 70% of frame.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi,

The presentation looks OK, but I would tweak down the overall saturation a bit. Colors look too vibrant on my monitor. Some sharpening halos are present and can easily be removed in post processing. I like the pose and the snipe is a worthy adversary to capture. Well done…Jim

The high key aspect doesn’t bother me at all, Govind. Beautiful detail and color in the snipe. I seem to go forever without seeing one, then they’re everywhere for a while. This is one of those odd cases where I think a steeper angle would have been better as you might have gotten less of the out of focus foreground in the image. It’s odd that I never think of it except when I’m critiquing, but a quick focus change at the end of the session and you could do a composite image with the foreground sharp. I think I’d remove the stick in the water. Beautiful job on the bird.

Agree with the removal of the stick in the water. Some of the foreground could be more in focus by using content aware/fill in post processing. The image is well worth trying a little post processing…

Thanks for the feedback.

I thought of cloning out the sticks, but didn’t follow through as I felt it was not interfering with the main bird. Dennis, I agree a steeper angle would have worked better. But I was afraid of moving any closer and scaring the bird away. Let me try to see if I can reframe the image with less of the foreground.