Wind Gauge

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Sometimes wandering around chasing the big scene, little things catch my eye…

Specific Feedback

Not a typical image for me; any thoughts and suggestions appreciated. This was soft, late, light spilling in when I took this, and I’ve left a little dark overall to try to keep that feel. Too dark?

Technical Details

NIKON Z 7II
NIKKOR Z 14-30 f/4S at 30.0 mm
1/1000 sec. at f/9.0 and ISO 800
Handheld

Not too dark for me, the durkness help to give evidence to the small subject enough lighted anyhow. The nature is the best painter in the world.

John, this is such a fun image. I love the precision of the multiple circular arches. great eye to see this and you caught the essence of this natural wind direction guage. The light/shadow is good to make it show up.

Depends on what you’re trying to say. I see these all the time and take them at face value. But here you seem to be saying something else. Am I mistaken?

Nice. I’ve tried images like this on the beach with some grasses, but with no luck.

Thank you @Giuseppe_Guadagno , @Ed_Williams , @Igor_Doncov , and @Michael_Lowe!

Although I never watched it, I remember hearing the soap opera introduction “Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives…” some afternoons. The sand, etching, and plant are all fleeting, and this has that time element for me. That’s why I was after the effect of late light, it too being present for a brief time. Maybe too big of a stretch?