Wing Up

I like how this guy was flapping his wings around. Having the one wing back behind his head I thought was a nice addition.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any you might have.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any recommendations.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Shot through the window using Canon 7D II, Canon 100-400 mm L lens at 400 mm. Settings f8, 1/800, ISO 400.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Shirley: I think this is a nice image. The action / pose of the bird is really nice. A unique pose.

There were a few things that caught my eye. I saw a cyan color cast. I removed that.
I removed the twig going out the right side of the frame
I dodged around the eye/head just to add a bit more light
I re-cropped to create a more dynamic image.

See what you think.

I like your edit, Keith. I will try working on it and see if I can accomplish what you did. Thank you so much.

I also like what Keith did here. It’s a steep angle to shoot this bird but it’s a very nice pose and that makes up for it. Very well done, Shirley!

Your angle doesn’t bother me, Shirley. This is a great pose. I agree that some lightening of the head makes the image work better. I’m ok with either your crop or Keith’s. I think both work nicely.

Hi Shirley,
Very nice pose you caught and the side lighting works well. Glad you were able to catch a nice turn of the head as well with a catchlight. Well done.
I also think both crops work fine here. Removing the branch exiting the frame does help IMO.

Thank you, Adhika, Dennis and Allen. Much appreciated.

Shirley

I really like this. the wing up position makes it unusual.

1 Like

Always nice to have a unique pose. Light is superb and Keith did an excellent job in removing the color cast. I really appreciate that you post your images large enough to see the detail.

Unique view of a beautiful bird. Thanks for posting this image. Repost makes it for me.