Winter at Chester - Re-Work

Re-Work:

• Reduced the sky by cropping.
  • used a different RAW i had that gave more breathing room in the bottom of the frame.

This is from a recent trip i had in the rockies (last week) it was magical. I have to say i don’t remember the last time i felt like a kid. I was so happy with the soft light and how it made the mountains glow complemented with the fresh untouched snow
I get excited just thinking back to how it was being there.
There will be more images from that trip but this one was one of my main shots and i wanted to process it and get it seen by our NPN community to see if i have approached it in the beat way possible.

Specific Feedback Requested

Clearly i was excited. I honestly could have shared the e image without much done except maybe for some WB changes.
So i wonder if anything jumps at you? Did i go over board with warming the highlights? (This is where i have most doubt)

How do you feel about the overall composition?

Any and all other feedback is most welcom.

Technical Details

2 Likes

Hey Aref! Wow what a scene! Really great atmosphere and energy in this photo. I love the way you’ve captured the dynamic mountain scene. On the highlights, I don’t think you’ve warmed them too much at all. On the composition, I always like to ask myself where is the energy. For me looking at this scene, it’s in the trees more so than the sky because the white clouds are dominating the sky area. If you moved the horizon line up, you’d bring in more of the trees and energy from the scene.

Aref, wow, this is sensational. I love it. I do agree with @David_Johnston that a crop from the top would increase the dynamics of the image. But it’s also fine as is. Well done.

Everything looks good to me here Aref… I would try a crop as suggested already. Nice work.

I like this scene a lot in terms of scope and light. I find there is an incongruity between the reflected light in the mountains versus the trees and snowfield. One is bright white and the other has a yellow cast. Hm. A bit of a scroll crop eliminating some sky helps with the composition IMO, but other people like a lot of sky. Glad the shadows aren’t blue - a pet peeve! That snow is so inviting. Smooth and tranquil. Really gorgeous.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
I went back to the raw files, i found one that had a level horizon and some more breathing room in the bottom.
I used that one and took out some sky
Re work posted.

Aref, I think you did a fine job here and I especially like version number 2. It feels more balanced with the smaller amount of sky and seeing more of the bottom really helps pull me into the scene. I also like that the snow is a bit cooler than in your original.
On a side note it’s nice to see what the conditions at Chester are like now. :slight_smile: I was actually going to go there this past weekend but I hurt my shoulder and I thought I would struggle lugging my backpack up there…

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @Tom_Nevesely
Sorry you could not make it, it was magical