Winter Fog

Description:

Specific Feedback Requested: composition and processing

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Mario,

Welcome to the community. This is a nice first post!

I like the mood and the tree has a nice graphical form. From a technical perspective you have a few dust spots in the fog area from your sensor. From a subjective perspective I’d be inclined to ender the scene more high-key to give further empathises to the fog and create more contrast with the tree.

Thank you for the comments Nathan. What do you mean by high-key?

Hi Mario, and welcome to NPN, this is a great first post, you are off to a good start !!!

This tree has a lot of character, and makes for an intriguing subject. Since it’s the shape of the tree thats so interesting, I think processing in B&W was a good choice. In terms of composition, the roughly equal space on both the left and right looks good, and I think you have included just the right amount of grass at the base of the tree. My only wish is to see a bit more space above the tree so the top branches are not cut off. Paying attention to what happens along frame edges is important. When you cut off things like the branch, you want the crop to appear deliberate, and not accidental (which this slightly does to me). I did a rework where in Photoshop I added canvas, and did Content Aware Fill, to illustrate how this might look re-composed. I think a bit more breathing room at the top helps.

In color images, the mood of the image is often determined by color. In B&W images the luminosity of highlights and shadows often plays the same role. The mood of an image is a very subjective thing. I could see a bump in the luminosity of the highlights, to my subjective taste perhaps somewhere in between the original post and Nathans rework might work for me. YMMV

Ed
Many thanks. Have never had feedback on my photos until joining this site. Fantastic site. Seeing your adjustments is very helpful.

Welcome aboard, Mario and a very excellent first post! I love what @Ed_McGuirk did, as I was also thinking the top needed some room. Beautiful image. Looking forward to more of your work and reading your insights in that of others.

Thank you Harley. Looking forward to participating on the site.

Welcome to NPN! This is a very nice shot. The shape of the tree shown in B&W against a foggy background makes for a great composition. I agree with the others that some more space is needed at the top of the photo, and a brief description would be a good addition. I always like to read about the photographer’s thoughts, setup, feelings, something about the shot or location. Regardless, this is a nice landscape photograph.

1 Like

Thank you Marc. I will add descriptions in the future.

Very nice Mario. Welcome to NPN. I hope you find it as helpful as I have!

I love the graphic shape of these trees, and the spacing of the 4 trunks is nice. I think @Ed_McGuirk’s edit adding some room at the top was a good idea, and the dust spots on the sensor are especially noticeable on the soft foggy background.

Oh, very nice first post! While I agree with the others about the cut off branches at the top and the sensor spots, I really love the tones as is. Yes, brightening it up makes it more graphical, but it has less mood and mystery than your version. It all depends on what kind of mood you want to set. For a bit more brightness, I do like Ed M.'s rework, where he brightened just the lightest bits.

Thank you Bonnie! THe mood of the scene is what I was really after.

Welcome Mario! I joined NPN just a few months ago, and have found the site most helpful, very good advise and encouragement that accelerate my develpment. I hope you will feel the same. I like the more mysterious mode in your original posting, but agree that the image would benefit from more room at the top.

Thank you Ola. Looking forward to participating.