Winter Fractal Patterns

After a late winter storm, the trees were coated with heavy, wet snow. When the storm ended I was excited to get out and take advantage of these conditions. But for some reason it was one of those days where I was having difficulty finding compositions that did justice to the snow covered trees. Finally I walked underneath a very tall tree and found this view. I was struck by the how the snow covered limbs took on the repeating patterns of Fractals, which we see so often in Nature. To me Fractals are a way Nature itself makes “Order out of Chaos”, and often does a better job at it than us photographers do :grinning:

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comment is welcome.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Ed,

Wonderful! I love the point of view/perspective here. Kudos for recognizing this perspective. The main branch solidly creates order from chaos, for sure.

The patches of lichen visible in the large view add a lot to this intimate scene. Snow and overall processing look spot on to me.

The only suggestion I have might be to crop out the vertical branch on the left. I haven’t tried myself yet to see if that’s viable, but I think there’s enough room. That branch pulls my eye over there. And much less of a nitpick, would be CA-fill or even a bottom up crop to address the dark LRC. But that’s very minor for me.

Beautifully seen and presented!

Lon

Very cool abstract, I love the repeating patterns. I would try and crop out the branch on the left to enhance the nice patterns.

Beautiful view. I played with Lon’s crop suggestion but prefer it as presented. I might clone the light spot on the branch just right of center, but minor stuff. Really nicely done.

I like this very much. I’ve been out shooting in the snow lately as well and finding these kinds of compositions takes time. This works really well with great lines and nice sense of place. I am drawn a bit to the branch on the left, but cropping seems to alter the flow too much, so I’d leave it as is. Very nice.

Simple but complex! This has a real nice graphic look to it.

Nicely seen, Ed. I’m learning that everything is more photogenic with snow. The image has a strong graphic quality centered on the main limb and radiating branches. I do agree with Lon on cropping that left branch. I think this balances the composition better. Otherwise, processing looks good to me.