Winter tree + Repost

Reworked after comments:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I got carried away today photographing tree limbs against the sky. Most were leafless but this cottonwood still has a few leaves. The single leaf on the far right gave me a reason to compose the shot with the primary limb off dead center.

Specific Feedback

Any comments would be welcome.

Technical Details

ISO 800, f/8, 1/160 sec.

Trees make such wonderful subjects, Don, as you image proves once again. I like the position of the tree and that lone leaf. The stark white background almost overwhelms the delecate tree. I am wondering what the light was like. I tried somthing in PS to soften the background just a bit. On my screen it is noticable. I think it is too subtle to be seen here. Just a thought.

I think you’re right, Barbara. I tried bringing the sky down a little and I think it’s an improvement.

The sky was clouded over and the light was flat…pretty good for photographing tree limbs.

Thanks.

I really like the composition in this image, Don. I’m a bit jealous because when I see something like this it always has stuff behind it! I do like the idea @Barbara_Djordjevic had of softening the sky. Something to think about on some images I’ve been playing with in B&W.

Hi Don — Trees in winter really can be more interesting (and beautiful!) when captured this way. Love that heart-shaped leaf at the branch tip on the right.

I agree about toning down the white a bit. And, one other thing: I keep feeling that I’d like to see just a bit more “trunk” at the bottom, and a little less sky at the top. I’m thinking just a little bit to balance it the composition, which feels a bit off to me.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Dennis and Susanna, thank you both for commenting.

Dennis, I know what you mean. The hardest part of this kind of shooting is isolating the branches from background clutter.

Susanna, you can’t see what was out of the frame. The “trunk” here was just a shoot that emerged from a large tree trunk that had been sawed off. I hate it when the world interferes with my photographic compositions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love this image, Don! The simple high-key effect and that one lone leaf at the far right is wonderful. There is such expression to this small tree and that branch/leaf are the reason. Maybe toning the sky down works, it is hard to judge on my laptop, but overall the image is very powerful.

Thanks, Brenda.

Hi Don, I love the elegance of this tree. The high key brings up the golden leaves. Following the previous suggestions, perhaps, just selectively reducing the brightness of the sky might be sufficient. Beautiful image.

1 Like

I agree about the word interference. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Very elegant, Don. You’re right about that little leaf on the graceful branch to the right - it’s the star of the show. I love the composition as is, myself. It “feels” just right.

I agree about bringing down the light background just a tad. How about brightening the yellows/oranges at the same time? Just a different idea.

Bonnie, you sold me on brightening the leaves. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Don, this is a really attractive photograph; the remaining leaves really add interest to the tree itself and the composition is perfect for displaying the whole tree. I do prefer the background a little less white.

Thanks, Jim.

What a fabulous collaborative effort with this photo! I hope we see a final version from you soon Don.

It is a good idea to show your edited image side by side with the original image. That way viewers won’t have to scroll up and down to search for the edited image. While doing this, it is also helpful to edit the title of the post to indicate there is a revised image. Here’s what I suggest:

At the bottom of your post, click the pencil to edit the post. You are then taken to the edit mode of your entry. If you want the edited image to appear first, then I would suggest placing the cursor at the very top before the original image. Otherwise, just go the line after the original image and upload the new image. Since you are in edit mode, you can add new text before/after the images to make sure viewers know what the original and edited versions are. You can also edit the title of the post and add something to indicate there is a reworked or newly edited image. I hope this helps.

A good idea, Kris, and I’ve posted the reworked version.

The differences are mostly subtle. I decided to add a little space on the left and on top, which is probably the most obvious change. I also lightened the leaves and modified their hue a bit. I darkened the sky. Exactly how much it should be darkened is still an unsettled question in my mind. If I lower the brightness too much the photo begins to ring false. I’ll probably put this one aside for a couple of weeks and revisit the question then with fresh eyes.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Don: I love the image and the discussion. The rework made an already fine shot even better. Most excellent. >=))>

PS: I edited your title

Thanks, Bill, and thanks for correcting the title.

Don, although the changes in the reworked image are subtle, I think they significantly improve a charming little tree.

1 Like