Winters Day

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a Pep Ventosa shot. It was a cold foggy day and I walked around the tree (about 3/4 around) taking a picture as I went, keeping the same distance from the tree as I went. Then in photoshop I blended about 8 photographs together and changing the blending style (screen/etc), and also the opacity. I am just starting to get into learning more about Pep Ventosa and his style, and I’m waiting for spring to do more. I have also played with flowers in a vase (on a lazy susan so I turn it instead of me physically going around the subject) etc. This was one of my first attempts.

Technical Details

1 Like

I’ve seen a few of these Pep Ventosa style images, and I really like yours because it feels softer and more impressionistic. Maybe because you used fewer images than is usually done? This is lovely. I might suggest brightening it just a bit, but you may want that darker mood.

1 Like

Thank you. I will lighten it up…I agree it could be a bit brighter. Thanks again!

Judi, I was immediately drawn to the ethereal nature of your composition. This is the first I have heard about Pep Ventosa. It would be a challenge and great fun to see what comes from the effort. Thank you for sharing this with us.

1 Like

Thank you Barbara. Please do Google him and check out his site. I plan on doing many more of these and hopefully improve as I go. I appreciate your comment. It was great fun to do. I still have to learn masking also in ps when doing this. Some people use many many more pictures to blend. Also on utube is how to process the photos. It’s alot of fun and something different. Thanks again!

@Judi_Hastings, I Googled him before commenting. I am intrigued and do, indeed plan on trying it.

1 Like

Judy, this is exquisitely well seen and photographed!

1 Like

Can’t wait to see your results! I know I have much to learn still on the whole process. But, its so fun and cool. :slight_smile:

Thanks much Fritz!

1 Like

Here is a lighter version

1 Like

I brightened it a bit, pix at bottom of string… Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

Wow. Just Wow. I loved this the moment I saw it, AND I like the brightened version even better. I love fog, and using this style with it really has created that impressionistic feel beautifully. Bonus, I’d not heard of Pep Ventosa. I look forward to checking him out.

1 Like

Hi Connie! Thank you so very much. I am loving Pep Ventosa and have much to learn. Not being all that great with PS processing, I learned to blend multiple images, but I’ve yet to learn masking. And I need to do that to help with some processing as well. I’ve much to learn on this process, but am excited to learn it. Do check him out and let me know what you think of his style, which is called “in the round”. I’ve also played by having flowers on a lazy susan, and then have my camera on a tripod, and moved the lazy susan a little bit, instead of me moving around it. Was winter and blah out, so a perfect experiment for me. Look forward to hearing from you, and if you find it fun. Thanks again!

HI Judi, this is a beautiful painterly image.! I am also starting to explore creative techniques; I will definitely give this one a try!

1 Like

Oh good!! Can’t wait to see what you do. So many things I want to play with.