(With repost) A Touching Moment

A young calf in solace with mother.
Recently, I came across some good names in India, passing of ordinary B&W frames as masterpieces.
So, I decided to brush up my B&W and started learning. Although it’s a long road to learning, but I feel. I have started getting some results.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 30 D; 500 mm; ISO 100; 1/250 sec. at F 4.5.

jagdeeprajputphotographie

Beautifully textured, beautifully lit - a very emotional shot. I’m not sure about removing that long stalk - it maybe adds to the feeling of the calf’s vulnerability. In any case, this is no ordinary B&W frame, it’s great!

1 Like

Jagdeep, this has such a wonderful feeling. Your b&w conversion looks very good as it spans the full range of white to black and shows well all of the textures in the elephant’s skin. I also like where you put the youngster’s head and momma’s trunk.

1 Like

Thank you @Mark_Seaver , it’s momma’s front leg.

1 Like

Jagdeep, this looks like something that ought to be hanging in an art gallery! Love the emotions of the moment with baby near momma, and you did a fabulous job converting it to B&W. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Lovely tonalities, suited to an emotional image! I love the grass at the base acting as a frame, and the mix of sharp blades with the OOF ones is very attractive to me. I’m not as excited about the two sharper seed heads, but they could be difficult to remove and it may not be within your ethics. They are certainly not something that harms the image. I might consider a slight burning of the space to the left of the mother’s leg.

What technique are you using to convert to B/W?

1 Like

Thank you @Diane_Miller !

I had this in mind, but forgot, I’m still in the process of honing my techniques.
In film days I was fond of Kodak T max films. I’ve a formula, which gives same tones as T Max and I use Chanel Mixer to work on that.

Since this image created so much interest, I decided to give it a serious try again, here is the result for you to evaluate.
@Diane_Miller as per your suggestion, I darkened the edge, next to elle’s leg, removed the straw and did some intricate burning of grasses, so that they are less obstructive.
Over to you…

1 Like

YES! I love it even more – I hadn’t realized how much the grasses blocked the viewer’s entry into the image.

1 Like