Wood and Nail Chronicle (Dove Lake Tasmania)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The boathouse on Dove Lake was put up in 1940, a simple structure of wood and nails, crafted by hands that respected the wildness it stood within. It sits by the water, the mountain’s bulk rising behind it, clouds rolling past its peak like silent history. Time and weather have scuffed its frame, showing the years in its grains. It has been a shelter for those who watch the lake, for those who come to see the mountain and feel the quiet of the earth. There is a dignity in its endurance, in the way it shares the landscape with the wind and the stone and the cold clear water.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome.

Technical Details

16 mm at ISO 100 and 1⁄320sec at ƒ/8

Saundie, thanks for sharing the history of this structure. I like the gentle curve of the bank as it leads the eye to the boathouse. The large boulder in the foreground anchors the composition. There is a lot of vegetation that occupies a prominent place in the foreground as well as the background. I wonder if it would take on more definition if it were in color.

1 Like

@Barbara_Djordjevic Hi Barbara I have uploaded the color version, hope you like it.:slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Don,

I have to agree with Barbara, the vegetation is the most prominent feature in the composition but clearly you intended the wooden structure to be the subject of the composition. I want to see the whole building. Of course I was not there, and it seems like moving out to the right was not an option, but it sure would have been nice to see the strucutre in it entirety.

Thanks for feedback Youssef. You are correct moving right was not an option without taking a swim, I was balancing on a small rock. Thought I’d add an image with the entire boatshed for you. Thanks again. :pray:

1 Like

Yes, I do. It gives detail to the vegetation. For me, it makes a big difference in understanding the beauty of the place.

1 Like