Wood Duck on Wood w/Repost

Repost with suggested adjustments:

Original post:

Wood Duck (Aix sponsa), Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden, Portland, Oregon, USA

I happened to be reviewing/culling my 2019 images and came across this one taken at a local Rhododendron Garden where the Wood Ducks love to hang out.

They’re very used to humans here, so this is actually a minimal crop image with a 600mm equivalent lens.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fujifilm X-H1, 100-400 Zoom at 400mm (600 Eq full frame), 1/100 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 400, Monopod.

1 Like

I like the full body look at the duck. Good details and colors. I could see trying to brighten the duck up some. It’s interesting how these ducks in the garden are so tame, yet in the wild they’ll fly off if they get even a hint of human presence.

1 Like

Nice look at a wood duck. Such colorful birds. I agree with Alan on adding some light to the duck.

Here’s a quick example of what might be an option.

2 Likes

Thank you @Allen_Brooks and @Keith_Bauer for your comments and suggestions. Much appreciated. For some reason the JPG came out darker than the Raw file…

I lightened the bird and toned down the water just a tad…reposted above.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Very nice, David. I love the pose. The repost with a bit more exposure of the duck is a definite improvement.

1 Like

Superb image with outstanding color and detail. The repost is improved.

1 Like

Wow! That is a sharp image, David! I really like the background water, it really makes all the colors of the duck stand out.

Wonderful portrait!! The RP is a nice improvement.