Wood ducks in-flight

There are two images here taken consecutively. Very bright sun. Both images are approximately 40% of full frame. Hope they aren’t too saturated? Minimal processing in both. No cloning. Perhaps I could use a little more room on the left hand side of both frames. I tried using content aware fill but they looked weird.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 640, 500 mm PF, F7 .1, 1250th, Nikon D 500

1 Like

I think they are framed fine, David. I like both images, but I think the second one is my favorite. Landing gear down. :slight_smile:

You handled the lighting nicely too. Wood Ducks have to be my favorite bird.

Great color and detail. I like the second one for the duck, but the first for the water.

Wonderful captures! I agree with @Allen_Brooks. If there is more blue water in the second with a slightly looser crop, you might try that with a slightly higher exposure or lightening the darkest tones, to achieve the lighting of the first. If the whites get too hot, starting with a linear profile might be good.

If I were to snag a Wood Duck shot like either one of these I would put a big check mark next to Wood Duck on my list of birds that I lust to get a nice photo. Absolutely superb. I would not change a thing!

Both excellent shots of a beautiful bird in flight. David and Allen covered it well.

Very good, David, in both cases. To my eye, there’s plenty of room on the left. Nicely done.