Wood Nymph fluttering around a wildflower

I believe this is a Wood Nymph fluttering around a wildflower in a mountain field in western Maine early morning. Camera D500, 500mm 5/6, 1/1250sec, F7.1, ISO 640. Little bit of edge cropping, sharpening and noise reduction in Photoshop.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

photoartistnorma

Specific Feedback Requested: Always open to your ideas and suggestions. Thank you

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Norma, you captured nice details in this butterfly and wildflower. I’m guessing the oof part just right of the flower is another flower maybe, that was closer to the lens and you felt was a distraction and you used something like Gaussian blur in post production? It doesn’t look as natural to me this way, so I’m wondering if the oof flower without the blur would be better. I am wondering if even a vertical crop, which would work nice with the flower and butterfly would be a nice option. It is a beautiful butterfly and flower, and I like the BG a lot.

Hello Shirley nice to connect with you again through NPN. No I did not use the Gaussian Blur, I don’t even know what that is but I know what you are talking about. I think the focal length of my lens and the aperture did that on its own no help from me. Yes, maybe a vertical crop, I may try that.

Norma: Welcome to Macro and thanks for a fine first post here. Wonderful subject with a great perch and BG. I did crop this tighter for your consideration. Great to have you aboard and looking forward to more of you work. >=))>

Great to be back Bill! Yes I do like the crop as it take out that brownish blur and more of the subject front and forward. Can’t wait to get back out into the field to share more of my findings with NPN and Macro/Close-up Critiques.

1 Like

Norma, the details in the Wood Nymph look great as does its perch. The oof to the right is a challenge, with Bill’s vertical crop helping nicely. Would the BF have stayed put if you’d have moved a step to the left? That would let you move the oof plant more out of the way, but made getting the Nymph sharp more challenging…the joys of macro on critters that can fly!