Wood waves

Splitting wood on a fall afternoon revealed the magic inside a log–I love the different color and textures.

Specific Feedback Requested

How might I improve it or maybe just enhance it in a different way?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
I did not make any edits to the color–just basic cropping.

1 Like

Kat, you have a nice composition here, with the “waves” of texture in the wood. To me, it looks like it could use just a tad of sharpening, and maybe bring down the highlights slightly. You could play with contrast and saturation, just to see if you like what it does. Splitting wood, you are bringing back some memories from childhood now!

1 Like

Nice look at the wood grain. I would second @Shirley_Freeman 's suggestions, especially with regards to bringing down the highs.

Thanks for the tips, Shirley. Splitting with an electric spitter is a great model convenience—also very quiet. Kat

1 Like

Harley, thinks for the suggestion. Kat

Kat, you’ve got a fine composition with the old knot angling in and the nice curves over top of that know. The details and the depth-of-field also work well. On my calibrated monitor, the only place where I see a possibly blown (too bright) spot in at the left edge a bit below center. It can be worth doing some dodging and burning to control the viewer’s eye movements. Some burning-in (darkening) near the upper right corner would help keep interest in the center and along the old knot.

Thanks for your input. Is there an easy way to do dodging and burning? I am not interested in professional level quality (or a complex process), but I would like to play around with this type of edit. —Kat

The colors and textures and lines in this image are all interesting.