Wyoming Kittentail

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The Wyoming Kittentail, like most early season flowers, is well suited for surviving all that Springtime in the Rockies offers. It lays pretty low to the ground. This one is just 4 inches tall. They are covered in hair-like structures upon which the inevitable frost will form, thereby protecting the stems and leaves from damage. Just look at the stunning form of this plant though. It is a true work of art, which is why I love getting right down on the ground with them and capture their beauty with a macro lens.

Specific Feedback

I thought about trying to turn the image to make the flower, which was tilted this way, to appear more straight, but then the ground felt tilted. What do you think? Would it be better straight up and down? I suppose I could use “transform” in Photoshop to move just the plant, but I sorta like its tilted look.

Technical Details

Nikon D850
Sigma 105 mm Macro
ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/50th
I stacked 49 images in Helicon Focus for this one.

2 Likes

Paul: Much better with the flower tilted. A perfect vertical would be too static IMO. Love your POV and kudos for the effort you put into the stack. Superbly crafted image of a wonderful subject. >=))>

I agree with @Bill_Fach about the tilt Paul. This has such a nice delicate color palette and a wonderful BG to show off the flower details. Excellent job with the stack.

Paul, this looks very natural. What I especially like is the balance created by the angled light bits heading towards the lower right corner from the base.

I don’t have any problem with the tilt, Paul, plants don’t always grow straight. Like @Mark_Seaver I really like the way some of the old foliage droops down to the right-it almost looks like you managed to include the root system. The leaves are incredibly sharp but despite your huge stack, some of the stamens and pistils look just a bit out of focus to me which feels a bit odd.

Gorgeous! The tilt/framing is perfect! The older leaves at the base do evoke a root system and provide a nice anchor – wonderful that you included them!

A wonderful little montane plant and the flower is perfectly lit. The stack looks pretty good and well worth getting down to the plant for the photo. You may not have focused on the closest elements of the flower at the start of the stack which may explain some of the softness of the nearest elements of the flower. Very minor nit as the rest of the image has excellent lighting, composition, and texture…Jim