Xuthus Swallowtail

Taken a few days ago, this butterfly - common in Korea - was feeding deeply on the yellow azalea. Catching the striking underwing meant doing without the feeding head, as it folds up when digging in.

Specific Feedback Requested

I hope I managed to control the yellows, always difficult in bright sun.

Technical Details

D500 + 105mm macro 1/4000 f5.6 ISO 800

In PS: Topaz Denoise, Shadows and Highlights adjusted , then lowered Brightness.

3 Likes

I really love this picture. How the shapes of the butterfly and the flower parallels each other and together create a truly balanced and pleasing composition. I also like how the butterfly has some yellows that echo those of the flower. I just wish I could see a little more of the tip of the flower on the right. to me it just feels a little cut. But beautifully done.

1 Like

Super busy bug! I like the detail and the sheen on the wing especially. Such a fresh beauty. Did it migrate or is this a fresh hatch? Either way it’s striking. Wish the light wasn’t so harsh, but they don’t fly much when it’s overcast.

1 Like

Beautiful capture, Mike. Love how you have caught him in the act, as they say. A bit of an unusual pose, but at least for me, it is a fun composition with his head buried in the azalea.

1 Like

It’s a fresh hatch @_Kris - we get 3 broods a year of this one, with large variations in size.