Follow the Leader

Description:

Three Xuthus Swallowtails (Papilio xuthus) approach three Red Spider Lilies (Lycoris radiata) in our nearby arboretum in Korea. Taken in September 2013. These butterflies can be seen from early spring to late autumn.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Is the background a bit too dark? I wanted to preserve the rich colour, while avoiding making the flowers and butterflies too bright.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D90 + 105mm macro with TC 1.4. f4 1/2500 ISO 1250

Cropped quite a lot and contrast enhanced in PS.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

1 Like

This is a great image, what a moment you captured! The dark BG does not bother me at all. Your choice of exposure is very good.

Really nice catch, Mike. I really like the background; flowers and butterflies both stand out nicely. A fine entry for the Weekly Challenge.

Oh wow, Mike! What an awesome moment you captured! This is so unique, I can picture it in black and white, really huge in an art gallery! Kind of like this…

Mike, getting three butterflies sharp and in the same frame is a feat into itself. Having the approaching three flowers makes the fit to this week’s theme even more outstanding. While the background seems a bit dark relative to the light on the subjects, it sure does let them stand out. To me, that an artistic choice. A pretty amazing capture.

What a wonderful capture and graceful image. Congrats.

A tangible sense of movement from this image - if you’d said it was 3 shots of the single butterfly combined together I’d buy it. That you got it and so sharp is wonderful and a sure keeper. The background does help them stand out, but it is at odds with the light present on the subject. I think you could lighten them a touch and still have a winner!

Never thought about this, @Vanessa_Hill . Nice idea!

Oh my!! I thought this was one of those captures where a burst is composited to a single image. You get triple extra points for capturing three butterflies in one frame!

My only nit is that the stems look flat. Hard to change the light but maybe darken them toward the bottom.

Mike: Spectacular capture of a special moment. Awesome image. >=))>