Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

First time I have ever seen a woodpecker in our yard, but this morning this Yellow-bellied Sapsucker stopped by for a moment to snack on the berries on our blooming pear tree. I shot this through the window quickly, and then he was gone. I do appreciate your views, comments and critiques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything that would improve.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I cropped it in at least 50% probably, because I didn’t get time to change my focus point in the camera, so he wasn’t placed where I wanted him. Just glad I got the shot because he didn’t stay but a few seconds after I saw him. Do you think this composition works okay?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D Mark IV, Sigma 150-600 mm C lens at 600 mm. Settings manual (except auto ISO), at f7.1, 1/1600, ISO 640.
(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Fantastic capture, Shirley!

I’ve only seen a female once before, way up in a tree, so I can imagine your excitement in this shot.

Great focus on the head and eyes. The left over lunch on its beak (not exactly sure what that could be) really adds to the shot. Great DOF and background bokeh.

For the few seconds you had this guy as a model, I say you got a great shot. Nicely done!

1 Like

how nice to find a saps or in your yard. I like the pose, detail, and background. If you were willing to spend A little time, you could probably clone away the branch in front of the upper body and neck.

1 Like

The composition works fine for me. You did a great job of nailing the focus on the bird-tough to do in that situation.

1 Like

Hello, Shirley - how lucky you are having this one near you ! The composition works well, of course I haven’t seen the original but I trust you chose the best compo! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Since I made the comment about cloning, I cleaned this up. Hope you don’t mind…

Wow, I tried it and failed miserably! This looks really good. Thanks for showing me that it can be done.