Yellow-bellied sapsuckers (with new edits)

Now with disappearing twigs -

and the Mrs -

The Mrs.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Ever since I’ve lived here we’ve had a pair of these nesting in, or close to, the yard. I’ve never had the where-with-all to photograph them before so I gave it a go yesterday. Took a cushion to the yard and sat on the ground by this, their favorite tree. First came Mr. and then Mrs. with a Red-bellied woodpecker in between. Not sure who made the holes, but a Butter Butt liked them, too (Yellow-rumped warbler).

I can see right to the tree easily now, but when the leaves fill in I might not be able to. These two shots were taken a few minutes apart and I hadn’t yet moved, but I do have a 5-minute single take of Mr. doing his thing from a position directly in back of him. Also some footage, however brief, of the Red-belly. Should be interesting to put that together with some other things.

Anyway, I know the poses here are very similar, but I like the pair of them together and will work on getting more poses and locations. These guys are about the size of a Downy woodpecker and I love the squeaky calls they make to each other. Since I only saw them one at a time I think there is a nest going that needs constant watching.

Specific Feedback

Any and all advice welcome while the getting is good.

Technical Details

Handheld sitting on the ground with elbows on knees

Mr -

Mrs -

Lr for basic tonal management and a crop & straighten - nothing drastic. Topaz Sharpen to bring up detail and knock down noise.

Hi Kris,

I can’t provide any advice for future shots, I’ll defer to the pros for that. :slight_smile:

I can say that these are really nice though.
What I find interesting is the difference in the shape of their heads and bodies.
One has a red throat (male?) while the other has a white throat (female?).

At one time I would have mistaken these for Downy Woodpeckers (and vice versa).

I think you did good to get these while siting on the ground using your knees to support your elbows!
I might be able to do that but I might not get back up on my own :smiley:

It would be nice to see the video once you have it complied the way you want.

I think it’s cool that you posted the same pose with one female and the other male! :slight_smile:

Thanks @Merv - the first one with the red chin is the male and the yellow chin is the female. They’re both the same size, but I don’t know if the head shape is a feature of the feathers and how they’re lying at the moment or if it’s the skull itself. I suspect feathers. They are very similar to Downies and other species as well. So many of the distinguishing features of woodpeckers go across species - like black and white plumage and red on heads.

Thanks for the confirmation on male vs female.

I think you’re right about the feathers playing a role in head shape, I’ve seen males with rounder heads but then it changes to the more square shape almost instantly. Something about alerting or warning other birds maybe, hard to tell. :slight_smile:

We have several Pileated here, they are big! They make the other’s look very small and weak.
When the Pileated hit the suet block, every other bird scatters! The sounds of a Pileated are like prehistoric birds from Jurassic Park.
I have a dead tree with a hollow area that I wanted to cut down but decided to let the birds nest in it until the tree is too weak to stand on it’s own.
As of this season, a pair of Downy’ have taken up residence in it. I was hoping for owls but Downy’ are OK too :slight_smile:
Funny, last season, the squirrels took it over for a few weeks, then let the birds have it.

Thanks, Kris! :slight_smile:

So cool to get almost exactly the same pose for the male and female, Kris. I applaud the sitting on the ground, but I’m a bit to old for that. A chair or three legged camp stool and a tripod work just fine for me. The head shapes are interesting, but I suspect it is just feather erection and how far the neck is extended on the female.

On the technical side, I’d get rid of the out of focus twigs crossing the trunk in both images. For some reason, they really draw my eye.

1 Like

Bravo to you for leaving a snag up to serve the wildlife. Those are very important bits of habitat for so many creatures. Downies are so fun to watch and I look forward to any photos you can get. We have Downies and Hairies around as well as Flickers so we are awash in woodpeckers. I will do my best to get photos of all of them.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank - they all come to that same spot on that same tree so it’s a natural that I’d get the same pose. They’re very cute. Sorry about the OOF twig, it didn’t stand out to me until you pointed it out. Should be an easy fix.

Getting on and off the ground is something that I’ve maintained through weightlifting for 35 years. In addition to squats with weight, I also do Turkish Get Ups with weight, albeit not nearly as much as a low-bar squat (google if you think I’m insane and you will be rewarded with a yes). Since so much of my photography is of very small things, not being able to go into a deep squat and hold it for several minutes would be the end of that for me and it’s just too much fun. Plus I have to get in and out of the kayak and that’s often from a low point with little or nothing to brace with.

Wonderful opportunity with these guys and their cohorts – go for it!! That’s a perfect old tree and I love the classic poses and the soft light. The BG detail is intriguing, but leaf season will soon give you a different look. Both will be great.

You might be able to get them to pose where you want by smearing some tree butter – or plain old peanut butter or softened suet.

Thanks @Diane_Miller - I hope I can get more of them on this and some nearby trees. They’re a lot of fun.

I hadn’t thought to try this, but I think I have some suet somewhere.

Hi Kristen, both fine captures - great to see both genders so well. Nice sharpness and realistic colors.
Agree on removing the out of focus branch cutting through the tree. Also agree on trying bark butter for future efforts - I use it with nice results. Never know what might show up for it too.

Hey thanks @Allen_Sparks - glad the site issues are fixed for you. These guys are regular visitors to this tree so I may not use the butter here, but on something else more convenient. I’ll have to see.

Cleaned up photos in the OP as per suggestions. Thanks peeps.

Finished a quick video of the Mr. -

1 Like

Nice job on the video, Kris! :slight_smile:
Your voice and inflection technique is well suited for nature video narration. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to more productions. :slight_smile:

@Kris_Smith Terrific video - loved watching the bird drill its holes in the tree. Nice job!

Thanks @Allen_Sparks & @Merv - the video came together well. With every project I learn new things and am working on a chipmunk film now. They’re fast, but you can get right up on them without them freaking out or even knowing sometimes.

1 Like

That sounds cool!
Chip & Dale? or Alvin & His Gang? :smiley: