Yellow-Headed Blackbird

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? comp OK?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 200-400mm f4 at 280mm (1/800 sec at f7.1, Iso 320) Levels, DeNoise, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast, Crop for Comp. This particular bird was foraging on midges that were present on the alkali flats at Yellowstone Lake. I was hoping for it to perch on one of the nearby snags, but instead, never travelled more than 8 feet from me. So, I went with Plan B and was able to get several reasonable portraits. The BG is the deposit of minerals from the hot springs and it made a bright and interesting BG.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very nice portrait of this blackbird. Techs and exposure look good. Better eye-contact would have been nicer, but that doesn’t always happen. I like the details in the image both in the plumage and the mud in the beak.

1 Like

Nice color in the breast and good detail. I like the background, though would be tempted to clone out the black areas that tend to draw my eye. Very nice close-up.

1 Like

Superb detail in this portrait, Jim. Interesting behavior as well. I’ve only encountered these in cattail marshes.

A great up close portrait of this beautiful bird, Jim. I don’t think I have ever seen one before. Nice details.