Yellow-rumped Warbler

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I posted a different frame from this series some time ago and asked about what to do about the out of focus left end of the perch. Some people suggested that I really burn it down. The opposite head turn of this frame allowed me to crop part of it off, and I took the suggestion to heart and really dimmed it. Does it look reasonable? Any other issues?

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 531 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick, f/8, 1/3200, iso 1600, aperture priority, pattern metering, -1 EV. There was quite a bit of post processing on this image. I cleaned up several bright oof grass stems that were distracting and reduced both exposure and saturation on the background. I also used Topaz Detail to bring out feather detail and did some dodging on portions of the bird to reduce the shadows. Cropped to a 15.3 MP 5x4 from a horizontal original. Taken September 9th at 8:50 am with the sun popping out to complicate things.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I don’t recall the previous post, but what you did may well have worked as I find my eye staying on the bird (i.e. I don’t see any distracting elements). Nice head turn and close-up look. Nice contrast with the background.

I don’t recall the image well enough to remember any particular distractions either, but I sure don’t see any in this image. A beautiful bird, and capture so well. The detail in the bird is really good.

Excellent detail and color. I think your post processing worked well. I might cut a half inch off the top.

I looked at this image full screen before reading your commentary. I did not notice the OOF part of the brand at all. The light is so nice on the bird that it’s really all I saw. Nice color, detail and background. As David said, some off the top would work too but nothing wrong with this one just the way it is.

Dennis: if you hadn’t written about darkening the perch I never would have noticed it. I like what you’ve done to the bird and the background. The diagonals of the perch and the subject are a big plus. Richard

Nice pose and detail. IMO OOF perch is really not noticeable.