Yellow-rumped Warbler

I was gathering images for a talk on attracting birds and ran across this one from last August. I really liked the pose and background, so I decided to process it.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you notice. There was an out of focus foreground rock partially obscuring the perch and I didn’t want to crop high enough to eliminate it completely, so there is a bit of cloning there. I also faded a couple of more intense background grass blades.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 468 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick, f/8, 1/250, iso 2000, fill flash at -2 1/3 EV, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4434x2916 pixels before resizing. Taken at 9:35 am on August 16th, 2019 under overcast skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

If I do not look close enough, I won’t notice the clone on the perch but that said, the bird is such an attention grabber, Dennis. It’s such a beautiful image. The toning down of the BG is perfect though. To nit, I think there is a slight magenta cast on the bird and perch. That shouldn’t be too hard to fix.

Hi Dennis, really nice pose and the bird landed just right on the edge of the rock. Love the yellow on top of these birds’ heads so glad you are showing that so well. Nice details and background. I notice a faint diagonal line just above and to the right of the rock - not sure if this is natural or part of cloning. A fine image.

As usual, excellent detail in the warbler and slight head turn makes for a sense of action. I like the perch and the position of the warbler on the perch. If there are any cloning artifacts I’m not seeing them. I like the background, the colors work well with the warbler, though wonder if the warbler would pop more if the background was darker.

Excellent shot of this warbler, Dennis. The background and head angle make this image for me. Good space all around and nice light too.

I do notice part of the perch on the lower right looks oddly out of focus just a little - not sure if that is the area you cloned out. If so, it is not noticeable unless one goes looking for it.