MacGillivray's Warbler

I was looking through images for the “Favorites of 2019” weekly challenge and realized that I’d only processed one of the images I took of this bird back in August. Since it’s the only time I’ve ever seen one and it was pretty cooperative, that seemed like pretty short-shrift. My only excuse is that the day I took this was a very good and active day at my blind and pools so I had a lot of images to choose from for processing.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I sharpened and increased exposure of the bird and perch relative to the rest of the image and added some blur to the background-does it still look reasonably natural?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything. Is the background too busy?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick, f/8, 1/640, iso 2000, fill flash at -2 1/3 EV, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4696 x 3084 pixels before resizing for the web. Taken at 2:48 pm on August 16th.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A beauty. Great detail and the warbler really pops against an interesting background.

I see nothing wrong with any part of this image, Dennis. As Allen pointed out, the warbler really does pop against a very interesting background. By brightening the bird and perch, and not the background, it really does call attention to the subject. Wonderful details in the bird. :+1: :+1:

Wonderful environmental feel to this. I like the colors, detail, and of course the setting.

Hi Dennis, I’ll agree with the others that the bird pops nicely in this image. Detail and color on the bird are terrific. I like the overall environment of this image too. Well done.