Yellowstone Abstract #1 + Rework

REWORK - thanks to Chris Baird’s comparison to kintsugi, the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery with lacquer dusted or mixed with powdered gold, silver, or platinum.

ORIGINAL:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The bacterial mats in the thermal features of Yellowstone are really interesting. Even though it was overcast and rainy, these particular ones were partially above water, making for interesting shadows and depth.

Specific Feedback

Any comments welcome. I was worried about the quality of this (high ISO, underexposed, hand held), so if anyone wants to pixel peep, go ahead. :slightly_smiling_face:

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 12.24.58 PM
Processed in ACR & PS for exposure & color adjustments.

2 Likes

What an amazing phenomenon. I like diagonal flow of the image as well as the palpable textures. I’m not seeing any distracting noise or lack of sharpness.

Bonnie, I will take a closer look on my large monitor tomorrow but this looks great on mobile. No issues with sharpness or noise. What a cool find! The diagonals work well to draw my eye across the frame. This could very well be an aerial shot over Icelandic rivers. Looks like gold deposits. Nice work!

Very cool abstract, Bonnie. It could be interpreted in so many different ways. I like the composition you chose with all the lines going diagonal, making lots of triangles.

Wow – so cool!! The 3D effect really stands out. And it stands up completely to pixel peeping! The abstract nature removes any need for pixel-level detail. The composition is so well seen and the colors are wonderful!

Thanks, @DeanRoyer, @Alfredo_Mora, @Dennis_Plank, and @Diane_Miller for your replies. I’m glad this looks ok to you all.

This image makes me think of the Japanese art of kintsugi. I like the warmth of the gold against the blue tones of the background. This abstract has a lot of depth to it, almost 3-D. Nicely done.

@Chris_Baird, I had to look up kintsugi. I knew about that way to repair pottery, but didn’t remember what it was called. What a great comparison! It made me think about those brown lines - why not make them golden? I was too fixated on the reality of the scene to imagine alternatives, but your idea made me re-think. I will post a rework - thanks!

1 Like

The reworked image is great, Bonnie. Hard to choose between them.

1 Like

Even cooler!! Wonderful colors!

1 Like