Yellowstone Bacterial Mat

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another intimate detail of bacterial mats in the thermal features of Yellowstone. One has to stop and really look to appreciate the other-worldliness of these.

Specific Feedback

Any comments welcome. I’m good with this as is, but if you have suggestions, I’m open.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-10-16 at 6.42.05 PM
Processed in ACR; basic exposure adjustments, cropped.

This is super! I can’t tell what the scale is and that makes me happy! Nicely done!

This is cool, Bonnie. I find myself drawn more to the features on the bottom of the pool with their softness and glow. It makes me almost feel like brushing away the surface mats which are very artful in and of themselves. I don’t know whether you intended that competition for the viewer’s attention or not. Personally, I would love it if there were some way of separating the two.

Bonnie, I like the mix of lines and “bubbles”. You’ve got good detail throughout in a well balanced comp. As a very minor nit, there’s a whitish “stick” at the top that feels a bit out of place.

Thanks, @Matt_Payne, @Dennis_Plank, and @Mark_Seaver.

I have to agree, Dennis, that the features on the bottom are more interesting to me than the parts at the surface. I couldn’t get close enough to get just the underwater bits, though.

I should have seen that!! Thanks.

A well balanced abstract image Bonnie. I like the framing and the effect of peering beyond the surface to a hidden world. The bottom of the pool reminds me of nebula. I’m glad you didn’t try to get much closer. Those thermal spots are quite dangerous.

1 Like

This is wonderful and fascinating! I can guess what it might be, in general, but knowing it is some sort of reality is not important – it is a wonderful abstract and delightful to explore. The colors are perfect!

1 Like

Fascinating! I had to decide if I was OK with the haziness and found that I liked bringing out the detail below the surface, which resulted in another interesting treatment of this scene.

1 Like

The longer I looked, the more I liked it.

Looks like I never revisited this after reworking it. Thanks, @Alfredo_Mora, @Diane_Miller, @Dick_Knudson, and @Don_Peters.