Yes, Toto.....We Are in Kansas

Yes, Toto…We Are in Kansas

I suspect few people would guess this scene is in Kansas. Cowley County Lake waterfall, east of Arkansas City, Kansas, is a scenic fall of some 30 feet, and is just a couple hundred yards off the highway. Largely undeveloped, relatively few folks - including Kansans - know of this area.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D
Canon EFS 10-18mm IS STM Ultrawide
f/11
1/2000 sec.
ISO 2000
Hand Held
Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure, sharpness, and cropping. Topaz De-Noise applied.

1 Like

Whoof, Whoof! Nice angle looking down at the falls! Yeah there are a lot of pretty parts to Kansas! It’s not just a flat pancake like so many think! It’s a neat different composition for falls! Nice job!

1 Like

Terry, having grown up in Nebraska, it’s always a treat to see waterfalls in the “prairie” states. This looks like a very striking falls. I am wondering if a vertical would have worked. Of course that depends on the river running out of the frame at the bottom. Making that stick at the bottom disappear would be good for this view.

1 Like

Thanks, @vanessa and @Mark_Seaver.

Mark: All my dad’s side of the family are Cornhuskers, and my wife and I lived in Lincoln for about three years. There is beauty everywhere, if we just open our eyes. I saw that stick - but not until after I had uploaded the photo! Since that photo doesn’t seem to want to play nice, I’ll upload the edited one, here.

Very pleasing look at the falls. Good job on the exposure. Looks like limestone. And yes, a surprise from the midwest.

1 Like