Yosemite Falls Rainbow

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I know this isn’t what one would expect for a Rainbow. However that is what this image depicts. Please see the image description below.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This is an image of Yosemite Falls Rainbow. It was captured during a workshop at the park and as we were photographing this iconic water fall, I noticed that every so often an apparent stiff breeze would sweep across the face of the falls and create a Rainbow. As the sun continued to rise the rainbows showed up lower and lower on the falls. So, I waited and captured this rainbow at the viewable bottom of the falls from my vantage point in the field. I was zoomed in and the turbulence of the water created the distortion of the refracted rainbow colors.

Technical Details

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark III. Lens: Canon EF28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM @ 300.00 mm,
f/22.0, for 1/20 sec. ISO 100. Edited with Photoshop and Nik Color Efex Pro 4, Viveza 2 and
Define 2.

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments are welcomed.

1 Like

Robert, this is a powerful image. The mist bows in the falls in Yosemite are beautiful. This almost suggests the flames of a fire. The colors are very intense, which catches one’s attention. The green of the trees is a nice foreground for the water, and the foliage is sharp, accentuating the water’s blurred movement. However, it feels like the colors in the water have been over-saturated and don’t seem natural. Robert, thanks for sharing this beautiful image.

Robert, this is a dramatic view that does look like it’s on fire.

Thank you, Barbara. Robert

Thank you for your comment , Mark. Robert Engle

Wow, this is so dramatic! Looks like the falls are on fire. I think it’s beautiful.

This is a beautiful and original shot - we seldom see a rainbow like this, with natural hillside to set it off dramatically. Five stars!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a rainbow I’d describe as violent, but that’s the first thing that came to mind when I saw this. I love it!

Thank you, for the kind words, Mike. And yes I liked the concept and tried it on other falls in Yosemite with good results for this particular approach to water fall rainbows. Bob Engle

Thank you, Paul. It is a rather violent water fall when you think about it. Robert Engle

Thank you, Barbara. When I posted this at our workshop critique, one of the participants stated that he had completely missed seeing the fire and asked where it was located. Robert Engle

1 Like

Wonderful dramatic and unusual capture!! Kudos for seeing it and sticking with it to capture it at its best!! I also love the tonalities and sharpness in the FG.

Haha, right? Isn’t it amazing what a little light will do with water. Beautiful.

Power and beauty of nature come to mind. Stunning!

Thank you, Fritz. Robert Engle