Yosemite Falls Rainbow

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

This was my office computer’s wall paper for a number of years. It was captured during a workshop in Yosemite on Feb. 12, 2015. As we were photographing Yosemite Falls around 11:00 am. I noticed that on occasion a gust of wind would blow across the face of the falls creating a brief rainbow on the face of the falls. As the sun continued to rise the rainbow effects descended down the falls, I waited it out, zoomed into the base of the falls and got a break as the rainbow hit at the base of the falls just before the sun would be too high to create the rainbow effect. Camera: Canon 5d Mark III, Lens: EF28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM @ 300mm, f/22, Shutter: 1/20. ISO 100.

3 Likes

Tremendously gorgeous colors, almost looks like fire, Robert. Great capture, and great timing.

What awesome color, Robert. An incredible image.

Robert: This brings back some great memories for me. On my first trip to Yosemite in 2001 I got a number of rainbow shots at several of the falls. This is beautiful, especially with some retained detail in the shadows of the FG. Your patience paid off. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Thank you, Shirley. In fact I presented this at the workshop critique and one of the other participants said he hadn’t seen a fire anywhere in the park.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words, Dennis.

Once again, thank you for your kind words, Bill

Robert, the tight view and the strong colors look good. The details in the foreground forest are a nice bonus.

Thank you, so much, Mark.

An image on fire, very well seen and captured !

Cheers !

That’s a “WOW” shot! The darkness of the foreground helps build a sense of the fire in a darker time of day, but powerfully emphasizes your main subject. Never seen anything like this. Two thumbs up.

Thank you so much for the kind words.

Thank you Jim, I appreciate the comments very much. Bob Engle

Incredible shot, Robert. Your patience and process was spot on and provided and awesome reward. Wish I had shot it!!

Wow! This is pretty special!! What a scene to have witnessed and captured :grin:

Matt, Thank you for your kind words.

[quote=“Eugene_Theron, post:15, topic:15135”]

Wow! This is pretty special!! What a scene to have witnessed and captured ![:grin:](upload://tCmKf0xbNHhODg7OK7Lv5aGnoT9.png ":grin:")

Eugene, thank so much.