Rainbow at Kfar Adumim, Israel

I took this last year in Israel on a rainy, foggy day while we were out birding. The sun came out for a few minutes and the rainbow appeared. Post in Lightroom, Photoshop, Topaz, and Nik Tonal Contrast, . I did clone out some electrical towers. I’ve enlarged it to 24x36 for an exhibit and I like it, but wanted to get your thoughts as professionals and to submit it for the weekly challenge. I’m trying to get more involved on this site. And I’d like to know how to “tag” for Instagram. Did I do it right?

What technical feedback would you like if any? ~ Any.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? ~ Any.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Fuji XT2, Fujinon XF16-55, ISO 400, 1/1250 sec, f9, @21mm.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

#ig @RobertaKayne

1 Like

You did a good job of capturing the rainbow, Roberta! The hint of a second bow is a nice little bonus. It does look like you got the Instagram tag right.

1 Like

@Gary_Minish Thank you for your thoughts and the compliment.

Roberta, the full bow looks very good, as does the rugged landscape. As Gary mentions, the hint of the secondary bow is a fine bonus. My one thought is that the bows may show a bit better if you darken everything slightly. In spite of that thought, bright sun on the foreground and rain in the distance are required parts of seeing a rainbow. This will look good as a large print.

Wonderful contrast between the foreground greens and brown tones all against the darkening sky. I think there is a tad bit of the blue cast in the sky more so on the right upper quadrant. But it could’ve been that way…

@Mark_Seaver - Thanks for your comments, Mark, I really appreciate how the moderators, like you, actually comment on the photos. I will play with darkening and see how that works.
@David_Schoen - Since it was a year ago, I don’t remember if the upper right was bluish, and I cant tell from the raw photo. Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it!

Roberta: Marvelous shot from a part of the world we don’t see much of on NPN. Just for fun I reduced the exposure 1/2 stop to show the effect of darkening the image. Decreasing the exposure makes the sky more ominous which I think helps the overall feel of the scene but I don’t think the adjustment impacts the FG as favorably. I especially like the colors of the rainbow where they overlay the ground forms on the left side. Well seen and capture. Back to you. >=))>

@Bill_Fach Thank you Bill for the rework of my photo. I like the darkened sky and rainbow that you did, and I may consider working on it more to achieve that look. Thanks again for your kind comments! I appreciate the feedback.