Yosemite High Country

Just back from a trip to the Yosemite high country. It was really hot with mostly cloudless days. This was the only nice sky I found. Unfortunately, the camera gremlins turned my iso up to 1600 for this photo so in post I had to reduce a lot of noise and then deal with sharpening to bring back detail. Is the noise removal/sharpening artifact noticeable? Any other suggestions? Darker sky?

Two photo composite: sky from one, land from another.
Canon 5d Mark IV, 24-70 f2.8 II lens, f/22, 1/4 sec, 24mm, ISO 1600

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

My, I wouldn’t touch the sky; such beautiful pastel colors. I might brighten the land, though.

Tony,

This is wonderful, wonderful. I agree with Ronald that the sky is fabulous as is. Light and airy and I really like the hint of pinks and lavendars coming thru - that are then reflected in the river (Tuolomne I assume?)

Can’t think of anything I would change, fix or suggest. Beautifully captured. Glad the skies eventually cooperated!

Lon

This looks really good to me, Tony. The composition is perfect, with just the right balance between sky and ground. It would be interesting to see the sky just a touch darker but I do like it as is. The slight magenta cast on the river helps create a strong mood.

Ah yes, the camera gremlins. They like to turn my camera from raw to jpeg mode every once and awhile. This is a beautiful shot, I like the high key look of the clouds the colors are gorgeous. I didn’t notice any artifacting.

Tony,
In my experience the gremlins only show themselves on the keepers and not those heading for the trash bin. I think your sky color is perfect complement to the colors in the clouds and a darker sky would change the mood you have now. I can’t comment on sharpening as I’m on an IPad now. I tried some different crops and always came back to yours. Everything looks good to me.

This is very nice. I’ve spent a lot of time in this area, climbing mostly, but sitting by the river in the afternoon was always a pleasure.

I think the composition is excellent, and I love the light. I also like the subtle pink glow on the river. The sharpness looks good to me. No nits here.
-P

This looks good to me Tony. No noticeable noise or sharpening issues. The pastel sky is lovely with a great lead in of the river.

Thanks for the comments one and all!

This is lovely, Tony. I love the soft pastels in the sky and the 60/40 sky/terrain split. Absolutely no nits from me.