You Lookin' at Me?!?!

Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus), Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge, Washington, USA

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments/critiques appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7D, 300mm f/2.8 + 1.4x, 1/100sec @ f/4, ISO 400

2 Likes

Excellent, David. The side lighting (and your processing) really brought out the texture in the blacks. I like the classic perch and somewhat belligerent looking pose. You don’t mention a crop, but I think a touch more room on the left and top would be nice.

Beautiful portrait, David! Redwings can be hard to capture, especially with a nice background like you got! There always in the grasses. Awesome!

Really excellent pose here. Great job on the plumage color and background. A tough shot at 100th of a second.

@Dennis_Plank, @Vanessa_Hill, @David_Schoen, thank you for the nice comments.

Dennis, This was full crop (crop sensor of 7D and 300mm with 1.4 extender. 16 feet away from the car, So, no additional room. :grinning:

David, I haven’t been to Ridgefield in a while, wondering if the water levels are improved from a couple of years ago…

The perch is so typical of their behavior - they’re so acrobatic and territorial. I love them. Blacks are tough and you nailed them. Nicely done.

@David_Bostock They got the pumps fixed, I think. Water levels last winter were some of the highest I’ve ever seen there. I suspect this summer’s drought has brought them down considerably.

1 Like