Red-winged Blackbird

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I finally had an agreement between my schedule and weather conditions and made it down to one of our area wildlife refuges on Monday. This was the second photographable bird I encountered that morning.

Specific Feedback

I’m not sure about the dark area in the upper right.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 806 mm, beanbag on car window, f/9, 1/250, iso 2500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4753x5737. Taken January 29th at 8:18 AM.

1 Like

Dennis, I think the dark areas above and below frame the bird quite well. At least you found a good subject to shoot considering the weather we are having on both sides of the mountains. Pretty dreary over here.

Gorgeous subject with very nice detail! Wonderful perch and BG. The dark area doesn’t bother me but you could think about darkening a gradient in the LL corner to balance it a little.

It’s so pretty I hesitate to even suggest anything, but I wonder if there is a tiny bit more dark detail to be brought out in the bird?

It’s nice to get that first RWBB of the year. For me, their song is a harbinger of spring. Nice pose and detail. I’m okay with the background, though could see lightening up the darkness in the RUC. I think the branch sticking out of the bird is a bit distracting.

A fine image Dennis. I like the BG with all the pastels - really nice to show off the bird and cattail. Also nice to see the whole cattail. I think you have already pushed the blacks as far as you dare in the lower part of the bird.

Very nice! I am eager to capture a few of these soon but none yet for me. I like the pose of the bird with the back showing and just enough of the front colors peaking out from the chest and of course that great head turn. I actually kind of like the broken or bent tip of the cat tail. It fits nicely with the rest of the beat up cat tail and makes this a more interesting photo for me. Plus, if you were to clone it out the bird would look like it’s floating on air. I don’t find the URC distracting but you could probably selectively dodge it ever so slightly. It does fit in nicely with the beautifully colored and mottled background though so no big deal for me at all. The composition is perfect. You have me eagerly waiting to take my first RWBB of the year. Thanks for the inspiration.

A very nice image. I don’t mind the URC at all, didn’t notice it before I read your comment. Great background, beautiful soft colors. I agree with @David_Haynes about the broken tip of the cat tail.