Female Red-winged Blackbird

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from Thursday morning (I came home with almost 2000 frames from a 2 1/2 hour session-spent more time culling than photographing). I was shooting from a platform at the end of a short dock and this RWBB flew into the old cattails at just about minimum focal distance. I backed up as much as I could and found an opening in the cattails that gave me a clear view of her and she was kind enough to stay there and give me some interesting poses. Unfortunately I framed her a little low in the viewfinder for most of the shots, so they’ll take some more creative processing. This one was just cropped and some minor adjustments made.

Specific Feedback

The crop has given me fits on this one. I’m unable to decide whether this is the most pleasing horizontal position or whether I should go slightly right or slightly left. Your input would be most welcome.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/800, iso 2500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4160x5010. Taken on March 30th at 9:04 AM.

1 Like

I never thought a female RWB could be so beautiful. Wonderful shot. I appreciate the difficulty framing between the cattails but it works very well. Excellent

Great “in your face” pose. Good environmental aspects as well.

Hi Dennis,

I don’t think I can recommend a different crop because this works very well as presented! :slight_smile:

The pose is perfect, especially with the tail fanned out like it is.

I really like the muted green in the BG as well.

Very nice!

I can understand your indecision with the framing, but it appears you made the best choice. She gave you a great pose and thankfully held it for you. Good details. I think the beauty of the female RWBB is underappreciated. Well done.

Hi Dennis
You nailed the framing. The head turn and eye contact are great.
Peter

Dennis, I don’t think I have seen a female RWBB before, or if I didn’t I didn’t know what I was looking at. Really nice pose with wonderful details.

Hi Dennis, this works well as is. A great pose well captured.