Red Winged Blackbird

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

it is very difficult to bring out detail in the dark shaded plumage

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

2000, 200-600 at 488mm, f9, 1600th, A1

1 Like

You’re right about the dark plumage, David. I have the best luck doing it in LR with the shadows and blacks sliders, though sometimes you have to do it with the local adjustment brush to avoid screwing up something else.

I’m noticing some red fringes on the lower part of the perch. Do you have your lens correction turned on in LR? Sometimes when it updates, I think it gets turned off-at least I’m always finding it turned off just when I’ve gotten used to it doing its magic for me.

I love the head turn and the epaulets in this image and the angle of the perch is wonderful.

Nice perch, background, and pose. The colors in the shoulder patches pop and work well with the contrasting background. Given the rest of the image, the lack of detail in the black area doesn’t detract.

Hi David, love seeing both red patches and I like the pose. I think the light hitting the head alone is dynamic in itself so I wouldn’t worry too much about extracting more body detail.