Redwinged blackbird on a lily pad

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

As Dennis Planck mentioned, the two of us went out a few days ago to a local pond and caught a few interesting birds. Lighting was very challenging as it was overcast and the reflections off some of the lily pads were quite white and difficult to tame. Very little processing. No cloning.
I don’t know if the head should be a little brighter. Probably 60% of full frame.

Technical Details

ISO 3200, 200 to 600+1.4 X at 720 mm equivalent, F9, 2000th, Sony A1

2 Likes

The head looks good to me, David, I can still se plenty of detail in the darkest areas if I give my eyes a few seconds to adjust. You caught a nice pose and the pads it was on have a nice assortment of greens.

Hi David, nice to catch the blackbird sitting on top of the pad. Exposure on the bird looks good to me. I like the placement of the bird in the frame. The light areas in the BG to the right of the bird draw my eye some but I think it would be tough to effectively tone them down. I like the overall environment shown. Nic capture.

I think the bird looks fine, with very pleasing detail! That is a wonderful and unusual setting, to me. The BG leaves on the right are less interesting than those near the bird – I wonder about a crop of about 1/4 in from the right.

David, this is a fine catch of this RWB. His puffed head feathers suggest that he’s in the process of singing. He stands out well in the midst of all the green. You’ve handled the background well.