Another RWBB this time with more black plumage detail

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

From a boardwalk at a local pond . Very windy morning but clear and sunny. Minimal processing, 25% of full frame

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

iso 1000, 200-600 at 600, 2000th f9, tripod, A1

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:

I really like the almost-posterized look of this. I might crop a little off the left for both balance and elimination of that brown splotch.

Hi David, nice environmental look and fine lighting on the bird. Bird is very pixelated - perhaps very extreme sharpening was used on the bird only. I’d suggest taking another look at the processing on the blackbird.

I love the scene, David. The low angle on the lily pads really worked well. As @Allen_Sparks noted, the bird looks badly pixilated and it has lots of color noise, giving it an interesting , but odd, sparkling look. I would look at the processing of the bird again. I can’t remember your processing technique offhand, but if you’re not running noise reduction on the bird with the modern software, I’d start to do so. It usually works fine (though you have to dial Topaz way back, if you use it).