Your imagination

Hmmmm, no images in Nature Abstract since my post 4 days ago? Did I say something? :slight_smile:

Well, hopefully someone will post again soon! I’ve been waiting to post this one since last September. I had visited California’s Big Trees State Park with family. And while it wasn’t a photo trip, I did manage some ICM’s.

So please take a moment and respond with your first impression of this image. What do you think this looks like?

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Unlike my previous post - and Thank You again btw, I’m so glad that one had such a positive response. Contrary to that one, this is more along the norm for ICM’s. A random swipe of the camera - and see what you get. No pre-conceived approach here, just fun.

So with that, there is no emotional response or expectation for anything other than a fun and unpredictable result.

I was going to title this “Abominable” with direct reference to the classic Christmas story of “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.” You must remember this? When I first saw this on the computer, I thought, wow, the Abominable Snowman! Now that was my reaction, I’m curious if you see this, or something else?

Technical Details

Nikon D7100, 16-85mm @22mm(35mm) f/10 1/4 sec. Intentional camera movement

After looking at your image for a while, it seems to me to be a horse tail in action, Lon. I have to say that when I first saw this it confused my mind considerably…maybe a mixture of the brown, green, and whites, along with a pattern of motion that I can’t quite discern. After all that, I’m still not sure what to think, but it definitely seems otherworldly. Cheers.

Like this one very much. For me, what I guess is a waterfall (or largish cascade) is clearly the ‘leading actor in a starring role’ of the shot. And the image processing supports that very well. Especially enjoy the restrained color palette.

My gut reaction to the ‘what is this’ question was that it looked like a feathered headdress viewed from behind. Don’t ask me where that came from but it was the first thing I thought.

YIKES, this one had me reaching for my over&under. I was not sure if it was alive and on attack here, Lon… :heart_eyes_cat:
Kind of a scary one here. I like the actual image as is, but wonder about the darker area at the top almost left to right, mostly right, is that just dark or brush stroke? It’s a bit harder to judge or tell when the images are extreme abstracts sometimes on the technical part.
Regardless, the image works as presented in the ICM genre just fine. If this was taken with our 4x5’s would say it was not intentional… :clown_face:

Lon, thanks for sharing your work here. Maybe folks were shy about following up on your great success with your previous image? :grinning: Totally kidding of course. I took some time to study your fine image and below are my impressions.

• Aesthetic:
    The square crop is used effectively and squarely focuses my attention on the main subject. Good choice on the balanced composition. The darker parts of the image help bring out the main subject and the fairly neutral color palette helps strengthen the mood which I will discuss in the next section.

• Conceptual:
    To me, I do see a figure resembling a snowy creature. It has white fur except for its right hand. It appears to be coming out of a dark place, perhaps its home. I love how my the image engages my imagination. Keep up the awesome work!

• Technical:
    Exposure, color, and framing look good to me. The only minor area that could be cleaned up a bit and it’s due to the motion of the camera and lens, is that area to the right of the head of the creature.

Thank you @Phil_G , @rjWilner , @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Alfredo_Mora . I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.

Not surprising that everyone has their own impression. Which actually as a great lesson - just because we see something or feel something in our own images - does NOT mean anyone else will.

Thank you!

This is a good image in my book. It doesn’t mean that I recognize it as anything really. I feel a pretty strong emotional reaction to it (which I can’t describe) and that’s important to me. It’s very suggestive. I also like the fairly somber color palette. It’s definitely on the spooky side.

1 Like