2019 Categorical Favorites

For my final round of 2019 favorites, I thought I’d include one from each of the NPN categories.

Aerial Delivery #4 - - for the Avian Category - - An adult Arctic Tern feeding its chick a tiny fish on the fly. It was a series of shots including approach and departure but this was the key shot with the hand-off.

Sony a6500, FE70200GM @ 171mm, ISO-125, f/2.8, 1/4000, hand held.

Luscious Lily - - for the Flora Category - - A Chocolate Lily in a field next to the tide flats. These are difficult to shoot because they are so dark and they typically hang downwards. Fortunately there was a whole field of them so I was able to find one facing sideways.

Sony a6500, FE100400GM @ 291mm, ISO-400, f/16.0, 1/800, hand held.

Posing in Fireweed - - for the Human & Fauna Category - - Reina (the big dog) & Jake posing in a field of Fireweed on Thompson Pass after refreshing themselves from a tiny little stream.

Sony a6300, SE1670Z @ 70mm, ISO-400, f/8.0, 1/3200, hand held.

Mt. Drum Glow - - for the Landscape Category - - Mt. Drum of the Wrangell Mountain Range as seen from the Glen Highway while approaching Glenallen, Alaska from Anchorage, Alaska. Taken in February, 2019.

Sony a6500, FE100400GM @ 209mm, ISO-100, f/8.0, 1/640, hand held.

Mother Mew - - for the Macro/Close-up Category - - I didn’t have any decent macros for 2019 but I think this close-up of a Mew Gull would work for this category.

Sony a6500, FE100400GM @ 276mm, ISO-250, f/8.0, 1/3200, hand held.

Gary Ward - Sideways - - for the Non-Nature Category - - Pilot Gary Ward flying sideways just feet above the runway during the Valdez May Day Fly-In even. One of multiple aerobatic demonstrations that take place during the 3 day event. I liked this shot because you could see right into the cockpit!

Sony a6500, FE100400GM @ 400mm, ISO-160, f/8.0, 1/3200, hand held.

All You Can Eat - - for the Wildlife Category - - A Steller Sea Lion about to swallow a Pink Salmon at the Valdez Hatchery.

Sony a6500, FE100400GM @ 352mm, ISO-200, f/8.0, 1/4000, hand held.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Wonderful images - you nailed all of them. Each one communicates beautifully. Thanks for sharing these Alaskan marvels.

I’m with Larry on these wonderful photos.

Gary, a great collection covering quite the variety of methods and approaches. The gull “portrait” is especially striking.

Ah, Gary, that road to Mt Drum is just magnificent and as an avgeek, I love the acrobatic shot. What an amazing skill. You have captured it really nicely with the trees in the BG and the ground, too. Amazing skills on both the pilot part and yours.